Cutlet is an evening appetizer/snack which goes well with tea or coffee. It is basically made of mashed potatoes with veggies, chicken, beef or fish. You can make the cutlet and freeze it for up to a week, and just deep fry when needed. Here I’ve made chicken cutlet to start with.
You can also check my other snacks recipe here.
- Onion Pakora / Onion Pakoda / Onion Pakodi / Vengaya pakoda / Crispy Onion Fritters
- Chicken Keema Samosa / Minced Chicken Samosa
- Avocado Egg Rolls
- Sarkkara Upperi / Varatti / Puratti – Jaggery Banana Chips
- Boneless Chicken – 1/2 kg (500 g)
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
For Potato mash
- Potato (big) – 2, chopped roughly
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Green chili -2, chopped
- Ginger & Garlic paste -2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Cilantro (coriander leaves) – 1/2 cup, chopped
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 3/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Egg white – from 2 eggs
- Bread crumbs – 1 cup
- Oil – For Frying
- In a cooking pot, cook chicken with salt and pepper powder. Drain it and shred it.
- Peel the potatoes and chop them. In another cooking pot, cook the chopped potatoes with turmeric powder and salt till they become soft.Take it out and drain it in a colander for at least 15 minutes (to allow the water to drain completely.)
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion and saute until it becomes light brown. Add green chili, ginger & garlic paste, cilantro, and saute for another couple of minutes.
- Add pepper powder, garam masala, lemon juice, salt, and stir it till the raw smell goes away. Add shredded chicken to it and mix well with the masala.
- In a bowl, mash the drained potato and mix the chicken masala with it (before making small balls, check the salt taste; if the salt is not enough to sprinkle some salt and mix it again.All the ingredients are already cooked; so don’t worry about checking the taste)
- Make small balls and flatten into the desired shape.
- Beat the egg white in a bowl and spread the breadcrumbs on a plate. Dip the cutlet in the egg white and roll it in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan, and deep fry the cutlets in medium flame till they become golden brown. It may take 5- 6 minutes.Serve hot with tomato ketchup
- If the cutlet mix consistency is watery to make the cutlet balls, add some coarsely ground bread. Please have a few pieces of bread when you try cutlet for the first time. It could come in handy.
- Beat the egg-white before dipping to make the step easy.
- No need to deep fry more than 5-6 minutes as all the ingredients are already cooked.