Paruppu usili is a Tamil brahmin & Iyengar dish. It can be made with various vegetables. It goes well with sambar, vendakkai puli kuzhambu, and pepper rasam.
- Beans – 1/4 kg, Chopped
- Turmeric Powder -1/4 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Chana dal – 2 tbsp
- Toor dal – 2 tbsp
- Green chili – 2
- Coconut – 1/2 cup, shredded
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – A pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Soak chana dal and Toor dal in water for 1 hour.
- Chop the beans and cook it in water with salt and turmeric, and drain the water completely using a sieve.
- Grind coconut, green chili, and cumin seeds coarsely. Add soaked dal to it and grind it together (don’t add water when grinding) and make it into small balls.
- Take an idli pan and grease it with oil. Steam the ground dal balls for 5-10 minutes in idli cooker.
- Crumble the steamed dal and keep it aside (if it is hard to crumble with hand, you can use a mixie for rough grinding).
- Now heat a pan and add the items listed under the section ‘To temper’. Add cooked beans and stir it for a minute. Add crumbled dal to it and mix well.
- Serve it hot with rice and sambar, vendakkai puli kuzhambu or pepper rasam.